We ate steak last night!
It's been awhile since we've had a full on steak-night, but last night was a great example of why steak nights are to be revered and looked upon with sheer admiration. Without having completed this entry, I can already tell it will be a short one. There's no need to draw this out.
Certain parts of this you will need to do in slow-motion, so I hope you've been practicing.
For this steak-night, we had steak and one side that B made (she'll type the recipe); I will break this down into two parts/recipes for this entry's sake and then post each individual recipe on Pinterest for mix and matching.
The Perfect Steak
To start, you obviously need quality beef; for our home/family, we only eat grass fed and finished beef.*
I use a Big Green Egg and if you have one, you are familiar with how to cook a steak on one; therefore, I will cover the flat-grill/cast iron technique. Although, come to think of it, I'll throw in the true grill technique just in case your outdoor grill can get hot enough.
By the way, unless you have a fairly decent hood-vent over your range that vents to the outside (the ones that blow back into your face don't count), I highly recommend sticking a box fan in a kitchen window, with the air blowing out.
Ingredients used for this Steak-Night:
1 30oz. Sirloin steak, 1½” to 2” thick (same applies to multiple smaller steaks)
Steak Dry Rub
fresh ground coffee
Steak Dry Rub (all ingredients can be found in bulk section of Whole Foods)
Mix the following ingredients into a small bowl:
¼ cup “Real Salt” Sea Salt
2 tsp black pepper
½ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp chipotle chile pepper
½ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp kelp powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp curry powder
½ tsp Muchi curry powder
¼ tsp cumin
- Liberally apply the Steak Dry Rub to both sides of the steak. Sprinkle ground coffee and ground cinnamon (sparingly) to both sides of steak. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Place a 10-to-12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and heat the oven to 500˚ F.
- When the oven reaches temperature and while wearing oven gloves with the strength of kryptonite, remove the skillet and place on the range over high heat.
- Immediately place the steak in the middle of the hot, dry skillet.
- Cook 30 seconds without moving.
- Turn the steak over with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes.
- Flip the steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium-rare steak. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)
- Remove the steak from the skillet, cover loosely with foil and rest for 2 minutes.
- Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
True-Grill (outdoor) technique
- Open all vents and heat grill to 650˚ then place the steaks on the grill, close lid, and sear for 2 minutes
- Flip the steaks onto a new section of the grid, close lid. After 2 minutes, flip the steaks once more and close lid.
- Shut all vents on the grill and let the steaks continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove steaks and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
B's Brussel Sprout and Mushroom Surprise!
Surprise, you'll LOVE them!
Brussel sprouts is one of my FAVORITE veggie sides, AND, my kids like them! I'm a one bowl serving kinda gal, but it usually takes at least three pots/pans/steamers to make my food, I'm weird like that.
½ bag fresh brussel sprouts, quartered
¼ fresh lemon
½ cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 package of Miracle Noodles® (whatever variety you like, I used the Miracle Rice® when I made it)
1 Tbsp pesto
2 Tbsp Smart Balance®
Salt and Pepper to taste
Steam half a bag of fresh, quartered brussel sprouts for approximately 10min (you want them to still be BRIGHT green)
Cook a package of Miracle Noodles® per cooking instructions on the package.
Heat a small saute pan at slightly less than medium heat, melt a tablespoon of Smart Balance®, toss in about a half cup of chopped mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms for about five minutes, then turn off the heat and leave in the pan until the rest of the ingredients are ready.
Once everything is ready, combine all three components in a pot, I used the one I used to boil the Miracle Noodles®, melt in 1Tbsp of Smart Balance®, season with salt and pepper to taste, add one Tbsp of your favorite pesto, and top it off by squeezing ¼ of a lemon on top. Stir it all together and ENJOY!